Sunday, August 19, 2007

The Present's Just a Pleasant Interruption to the Past...

I've gotten in touch with a ton of people through myspace. People I thought I'd never see or hear from again. Friends from high school, friends from middle school...family that is an entire continent and ocean away. MySpace is an amazing tool.

It also brings back memories that I don't know when I'd think about again if it weren't for these people. Like the boy who had a crush on me but couldn't get the courage to mention it. I knew it then. I know it now. And he has just recently been able to tell me these things.

Or the girl who was my best friend in another state. We lost touch, and lo and behold, years later I come to find that she has moved to the same place I have, and lives about 2 miles away from me.

I have ongoing relationships with all of these people. But these relationships are so bittersweet. How does one go from being one of your nearest and dearest to someone that you hold at arm's length? To me, I talk to these people- online, on the phone, in person- and all I see is the change. In them, in me, in what our experiences have turned us into.

I deeply cared for the above mentioned boy. Of course, now there's not even a whisper of that in our conversations. He took a much different path than I and now I am happily engaged and he has a beautiful daughter.

Will we continue to be friends, even in the loosest terms? I'd like to think so. I'd like to think that years from now I will still laugh when thinking of my friends from the past. When thinking of those who at one point in time knew me better than others, and now....now are friends in a completely different way.

_______________________________________________________________

That may seem kind of jumbled...it was more for me than you though. Time to get ready to sleep. I would groan about Monday, but for the moment I am loving my job, so no room for groaning around here. Goodnight!

No comments: